Below are some example coaching questions which the appraiser can use to enhance the appraisal conversation.
These are only suggestions, and shouldn't be viewed as an exhaustive list.
- What would you like to happen that is not happening now?
- What will service users/stakeholders/carers notice that is different?
- What will you have to do to carry out your objectives?
- Where are you right now?
- What is stopping you?
- What concerns you most about … ?
Understanding and building on current resources
- When has the situation/workplace been at its most productive?
- What would be the implications of things staying as they are?
- What specifically is happening?
- What do people feel about this?
- How does it look to you?
- What part is not clear?
- Can you tell me more?
- What other ideas/thoughts/feelings do you have about it?
- What is the opportunity here?
- What are your options?
- How else could you handle this?
- What have you tried so far?
Wrap-up and next steps
- What are the next steps?
- What specifically will you do?
- What support do you need?
Last reviewed: 30 June 2021